Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ponder This


            Ah, the iconic “Thinker” by Rodin. Certainly the embodiment of what we are trying to do here. Though this is only a sample, each Saturday I will be posting a picture without any thoughts or questions. Ideally what I would like these pictures to become is a playground for your own philosophical thinking. Perhaps probing the picture and pondering the life contained within it, or asking critical questions about life through the lens of that single snapshot. This picture could be anything from something I had seen on the web to a real image taken by me during the week. Either way, my hope is for you to comment on the picture and perhaps even leave behind your own questions for others to consider. 

Ready, set, go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure my analysis of this is not spot on, as I'm no art expert, but I've always enjoyed this sculpture because of it's simplicity. The subject is seated on as little outside material as possible, and he is in a natural and pure form. To me, it makes the simple act of thinking the most basic, fundamental, and necessary of human functions. This is in contrast with his posture and facial expression, which make thinking look like strenuous labor man must preform to understand the world around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never cease to amaze me, my young friend. Whether or not your analysis is "spot on" as you put it, it's insightful and relevant. I never juxtaposed the idea of thinking with his posture/body language before, as I always wondered more about what he was thinking concretely rather than extrapolating it to the abstract notion of thinking.

      I think we are long overdue on some shared metaphysical speculation, sir. You may just open my eyes to fresh insights in that realm, too.

      And that is exactly why I started this blog. Young minds very often see old ideas/questions from a new, fresh perspective.

      Thanks for checking in, Brady!

      Delete