Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oh, Wobbly Words...

            Language can be messy. Sometimes we can’t find the perfect word to describe what we think and/or feel; other times the right word in our primary language just isn’t nuanced enough to explain what we mean. But we must be as careful as possible when we are engaged in philosophical dialogue so that each member of the discussion is on the same page, so to speak.
           
            I was thinking about this today because of a conversation that began in the “Rainy Day Exam Blues Hiatus” post. We were talking about happiness and how it can mean two different though equally important ideas: 1) the momentary experience of joy that arrives suddenly and is fleeting; 2) and our overall well-being or life satisfaction. As you can see, English can be frustratingly ambiguous. In the context of this discussion, I mentioned the ancient Greek notion of eudaimonia, which I am sure will get its own post in the near future. And, considering my interlocutor is a former student who studies Japanese, another word popped into my head—kaizen.

            Ever since the end of World War II, Japan has been kaizen crazy. Originally meant as a term to be applied in manufacturing and business, the word has expanded to include broader applications. It, too, suffers from the same fate as happiness in English because though the word literally means “good change” it is often translated as “continuous improvement.” This is noteworthy because it is an idea often discussed in philosophy circles, whether working toward the Golden Mean of Aristotle or trying to evolve into the Übermensch of Nietzsche. Part of living well requires us to continually refine ourselves as part of our search for wisdom.


            How do you accomplish this in your life? Do you see yourself as a work in progress, constantly trying to get better in all aspects of life? What can we do to make improvements in our lives? Can we improve physically (health)? Can we improve mentally (intelligence)? Can we improve spiritually (wisdom)? Is it worth trying to improve, or should we not strive so much? What are your thoughts on this? 

4 comments:

  1. I know that I, myself, am always trying to better myself. Whether it's health, intelligence or wisdom, I am always trying to enhance my skills and my life as a whole so that I may live my life to its fullest potential. I believe that it is definitely worth it to make improvements daily in all aspects of our lives because you don't know when your last day on this earth will be. By improving these things, especially health, you are just bettering your chances to live a longer life. While you can't controll everything, you can controll small things in your life that will help you in all aspects of life. I also believe that it is definitely worth it to improve your life as much as possible because, well let's face it, we are all going to die. We might as well make the most of our lives by living them as best as possible. I would rather die knowing I did my best to make the most of my life than have to say that I didn't try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey,

      You are wise beyond your years. To have embraced your mortality at a young age is not common, but it will help you achieve a lot more in the long run. While I have no regrets in that all of my decisions helped me become the person I am today, much of my youth was squandered and there will always be a lingering thought that I could have been more. As I close in on 40, though, I know that that particular lingering thought won't hold me back from whatever improvements I can continue to make going forward. All we can do is start from here and now, try our best, and see what comes of our efforts. I truly believe you have an incredible future ahead of you, Casey.

      As always, thanks for stopping in and taking the time to discuss. Try and talk to your friends about what you spoke about above. Many other teens need to learn what you have already discovered.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words, Mr. H. It really means a lot. I am definitely going to keep trying to improve my life as much as possibe in all aspects of life. Again, I really appreciate the kind words. It really does mean a lot.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete